I am 17, going on 18...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sweet sixteen. I don't know why being sixteen is such a big deal. For me, I don't even remember what I did on my own 16th birthday (Hey don't judge me, I have horrible memory). I think being 17 is even more significant. Not only because of SPM, but also because of the period after SPM where you determine what you need to study in college. And I find that very taunting.

But it seems like what I'm going to do next year in college have already been determined by my parents. Well basically, my mother lol. Honestly, I don't mind. She seems to take charge and I allow that to happen because I myself am a very indecisive person and I don't know what's best for me. She knows that I probably want to do something science related, and she respects that, which is great because she isn't forcing me into doing things like Accounting or Law (but she does occasionally brings it up to try to encourage/influence me :P).

My current obvious choice would probably be A-Levels. Now, people often ask me "Why are you going for the January intake?". Allow me to explain. If I go in March, I will have to rush to complete the syllabus/semester. If I go for July, it would be too long a holiday for me and I end later. That's what I hear from my seniors. So, January seems to be my best choice right now. However, I may envy those who have time to enjoy themselves while I will be studying and trying to adapt myself to the new complicated environment of college life.

Why am I intimidated and taunted by college life? Maybe, because my routine will be disrupted. There are some things which I'm glad will change, and some things which I want to stay the same. To be frank, I'm not very good with socializing with people. Going to college means I have to make new friends. New friends who will accompany me on my journey to adulthood. I think at least almost everyone will feel a little nervous about being in an entirely new group of people right? We're not in school anymore. The lecturers will barely care about what mischievous things we're up to. They're only paid to teach, and that's what they will do. Everything is entirely up to us. No one to guide us, no one to bend us to the right path and no one to watch over us. Unless they're really caring lecturers :)

In my own opinion, I am a person who is quite stringent when it comes to rules, compared to the youngsters of the world nowadays. I respect the rules (most of them, not all of them) because they are there to create boundaries for us so that we do not end up in trouble. I'm kinda known as the goody-2-shoes in my circle of friends and prefects. I have also been a prefect for almost 8 years - which is almost half of my life so far - and I am used to following the usual rules without being told to, like being on school on time (well, that's cause I don't really have a choice because my driver picks me up LOL), pinning my hair up when necessary, not bringing any electronic devices to school, not skipping class (unless I am needed for something else) and using only black hairbands to tie my hair. Now, all those rules aren't applicable in college anymore. You can come late for class, not like the lecturer cares (I think). Your hair can be in any colour or style, using whatever hairbands you want to tie down that mess. You can bring phones, laptops or your iPods in the hall. Heck, you can even listen to your iPod while the lecturer's teaching (I think?). The option of skipping class is available, it affects your grades and overall performance yes, but it's up to you whether you want to do it and you won't be officially punished by anyone (except your parents). I don't need to follow those rules anymore. What a significant change for someone who has been following those rules for the so long.

I pray that God will help me be adaptable to this new chapter of life :/

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please comment appropriately!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs

Edited by Carmen Chan