Piano practical exam: Grade 6

Friday, July 31, 2009

Got to piano teacher's house @ 10.30AM. Practiced for a while..
I met new friend :D But I did not get her name o.O

After practicing, I played with magnets and metal stapler bullets...





It was fun.

Then I went to Hotel Istana for my piano exam. Nice place.



After that, I took some pictures of the exam place.




And then I went to the waiting room... to wait.

I was so thankful I had a iPod touch. I practiced my scales on it!



Then the Malay dude called me, "Chan Sze Ern!"

It was my turn. *sigh*

I sat down, waiting for my turn.. it was awkward, waiting for some Caucasian stranger to judge your piano skills. And if you're unlucky, you'll get a scary one. (No offense to Caucasians or examiners!)

And finally, my new friend finished her exam. She came out and ran to my teacher telling her how sweaty her palms were, how she had to repeat the scales and how uneasy and uncomfortable the piano was.
The piano was uncomfortable to play on?!

The examiner opened the door, if I'm not mistaken his name was Iain Denley (I forgot).
"Hello there."
"Good afternoon!"
"Good afternoon, how are you today?"
"I'm fine."
"Good, make yourself comfortable and adjust the seat as you like."

Adjusted seat. Sat down..

"Would you like to start with your scales or your pieces?"
"Scales."

Started with scales.. overall, made 2-3 mistakes. NOT GOOD.

"Okay, now we will move on with your exam pieces. You may start whenever you're ready."

Start first piece, screwed up at ending.
Then second piece, not bad.
Then third piece, not bad too.

Sight-reading, 2nd worst part of exam. I played so many wrong notes!

Aural.. worst part of the exam.

Singing the melody.. OK.

Sight-singing, bad. It had 2 # (sharps)! I have never sang any piece with #s before.
"Would you like to repeat it, to get the rhythm/melody right?"
"Sure!"
Sang worse~ ARGHHH.

Identifying the cadence and whether it's major or minor. LOL! I was a bit nervous and scared, I forgot I was not suppose to look at the examiner, cause it's aural test.
"Do you mind looking away from the piano?"
*blush* "Sorry!" So paiseh man.
But anyway, I think I got it right.

On the identifying the style & period of the piece,
*examiner plays piece*
"Please comment about the dynamics of the piece."
"Well, in the beginning it was quite soft, and then it gradually became faster, I mean louder, and then it was soft again, and then it became louder again."
"O.O Swt"
I have nothing else to comment on that, cause I don't even know whether I answered correctly.
END~

I am mentally and emotionally traumatized by the exam.
The examiner, is naturally strict, but he's trying hard to be friendly and nice, which is making himself uneasy, but making ME uneasy as well for making HIM uneasy! And everytime something was wrong, he would make this kinda obvious sigh and look, which is making me more nervous! Sigh.

And to ease the pain and sorrow, I indulged myself in some chocolate cake in the lobby.


Sometimes the way is lonely
And steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live!
- Chris Rice's (Untitled Hymn) Come to Jesus.

P/S: I hope it's not illegal to post pictures of the inside of the examination place. Do tell me if it is, I'll have to take it down right away!

YOU'RE GONNA PASS, CARMEN!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please comment appropriately!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs

Edited by Carmen Chan